Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Unlike Icarus.

Back on the mainland Ben enjoyed the warmer climate after the winter cold of Tas. He caught up with one of his mates in Melbourne and then headed up to our house at Lima East, near Swanpool in NE Victoria. Perhaps it was the occasional hot days, the initial ride in traffic fumes, dust in the air, rye grass growing green and tall at the farm, or some other unknown cause but, after a while, breathing deteriorated, pain returned and sleep became difficult, just as it was a year ago. Adding to the woes, the mostly-reliable motorbike had fuel problems; refusing to start and leaving him with no transport. Days wore on becoming increasingly uncomfortable and any feelings of wellness vanished. It seemed that nine months of gains had been undone in just a few weeks. There was no choice but to abandon the overseas trip and other plans made when in good health.

SMS: The wind blows one way and I freak out, changes direction and I feel better... Sorry about panicking sometimes. Call me Dr Jeckyl or Mr Hyde depending on the day. I've learnt alot from this trip. I'm happy and capable in Tas so I'll stay there and be weird (but happy). Burnt my wings a bit being overly unnecessarily ambitious. But unlike Icarus my fall will be soft. I'll see a doc once I'm there maybe I'll sort this thing out for certain but no rush....

The plans weren't all that ambitious but he just wasn't well enough. Unable to stay in Melbourne, the final choice was to go back to Tassie however the boat was fully booked till the 8th November with no room for a motorbike and no cabins or seats available. After phoning each day, checking for cancellations, a bunk in a shared cabin and a vehicle space became available. Ben's heading back to Tassie on the boat this Saturday. Life goes on and the story continues...

No comments: